City Registration

General information

For the essential information on this topic, please read the corresponding section of our Welcome Guide  carefully first.

By law, anyone intending to stay in Germany for longer than 2 months must register their address in person at the Central Registration Office within the first two weeks of arrival. The same applies to any subsequent change of address within Dresden or Germany or to abroad.

Documents to be presented at registration include

  • your passport,
  • your landlord’s official confirmation of your move-in (Wohnungsgeberbescheinigung),
  • valid rental agreement (or booking confirmation, if your accommodation is a guest house, hotel, hostel etc.)
  • the same documents as above for any family members who have joined you
  • certificates of birth (and authorised German translation) for all children
  • completed registration form.

Important documents, which you will receive in return and should handle with due care:

  • confirmation of registration (Anmeldebestätigung): an official document needed e.g. to
    • apply for a residence and work permit
    • apply for statutory health insurance
    • open a German bank account
    • obtain a German mobile phone SIM card.

Subletting and Registration

Note that if you are initially staying at a friend’s apartment, you will need to present a sublease contract between you and your friend, which requires the express permission of your friend’s landlord that your friend is allowed to sublet a room to you.
If you are a sublettee, then your sublettor (the main tenant of the apartment) is the one obliged to fill out the confirmation of move-in/move-out (Wohnungsgeberbescheinigung) for you, not the landlord.

Note that you should only register with an address, which has your name on the mailbox and where you will be living for at least the following 4 weeks, because important official documents (e.g. your tax ID) will be sent to your first address – and only once.

If you move to another accommodation at any point, you are obliged to re-register your change of address immediately with confirmations of move-out and move-in from your former and new landlords. Make sure that for a transition period your mail will be forwarded to your new address. If you leave Germany, you must deregister at the Central Registation Office.

Whom to contact

Your landlord

At move-in or move-out, request your landlord to give you the official confirmation called “Wohnungsgeberbescheinigung” (commented form “Wohnungsgeberbescheinigung”). It has been a requirement for any registration process incl. re-registration and deregistration since 1 November 2015.

Central Registration Office Dresden-Altstadt

Address: Theaterstraße 11, 01067 Dresden
Website and Opening Hours:
Send Email
Make an appointment in advance.