The upcoming autumn season is awaiting you with some great excursions for our international PhD students and post-docs. The next ‘big thing’ is an excursion to Munich from 4 – 6 September. Here are some (fun) facts about Munich to make you familiar with some features of this vibrant city.
- Right after Berlin and Hamburg, Munich is Germany’s third largest city and has a population of about 1.4 million.
- The name München comes from the Old High German Munichen, meaning “by the monks place”, as the city was founded by monks and was first mentioned in 1158.
- For cuisine, the Weisswurste, a white sausage, is a Munich specialty, served with sweet mustard and freshly baked pretzels.
- The Bavarian dialect might be hard to understand, even for many Germans. For example, don’t try to buy „Brötchen“ (buns) in Bavaria. They are known as „Semmeln“ here.
- The major part of the famous Oktoberfest is held in September, it ends the first weekend in October.
On our trip we will enjoy a guided city tour and get to know the main attractions of the inner city. In addition, we will visit the ‘German Museum’ – the biggest natural science-technical museum in the world. Art lovers will also get to indulge their passion at the famous art collection ‘New Pinakothek’. Another stop is the BMW City Munich, where we will visit the BMW World and museum. Besides our full schedule, you will of course get a chance to spend some time of your own in the city.
Do you feel like joining this excursion now? Then register via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, status (enrolled PhD student/guest researcher/post-doc) and e-mail address and pay the fee of €90 at the Welcome Center office until 20 August.
Some other excursions for which you can register now:
- Climbing Tour in the Saxon Switzerland (19 September│€17)
- Hiking and Wine Tasting in Sörnewitz (17 October│€8)
- Hamburg – Metropolis of the North (30 October – 1 November │€70)
- Eisenach – an important “European City of the Reformation (27 – 29 November │€50)
For more detailed information, please check our homepage: http://tu-dresden.de/internationales/welcomecenter/culture-program-phds-postdocs
And we would also like to see you at our next regulars’ table on 18 August. Feel free to invite your friends and family to this as well and please register everybody here: http://moreganize.ch/bAnwMpGOWwj.