Translations and Interpreters

General information

The Immigration office or other authorities may ask you for authorised translations of certain of your documents (birth/marriage/degree certificates). A frequently asked question is what is the difference between an authorised translation and a translation done by yourself or a friend: Authorised translations are required to be made by translaters under an official oath. Use the databases below to find an authorised translater near you.

As long as you are not a 100% confident German speaker, to simplify communication and avoid misunderstandings, you may sometimes wish to be accompanied (to a doctor or another important appointment) by an interpreter who is fluent in your native language (or English) and German. However, as long as it is not a trial at a court of justice, an authorised interpreter (under oath) is not required. The alternative for this type of support in everyday life is the Community Interpreters Service, a volunteer organisation made up of Dresdners of various mother tongues, who will be happy to assist you as needed by arrangement for a small fee to cover their expenses.

Whom to contact

Authorised translators and interpreters (under oath)

Official German database of authorised translators and interpreters (in cooperation of the Federal Ministry of Justice and competent regional courts/authorities)
Saxon database of authorised translators and interpreters (by Bundesverband der Dolmetscher und Übersetzer (BDÜ) Landesverband Sachsen e.V. – Saxon Association of the Federal Association of Interpreters and Translators)

Interpreters for everyday life

Dresden Community Interpreters Service (volunteer organisation – if need be, send them a request with the date, time, place and language(s) required)